Conquering the Search Engines: Which Is More Important, Off-Site or On-Site SEO?
You have created a website, crafted good content and published them on your site, but can’t figure out why you still don’t rank on the first page of Google.
Or you probably have tried all the SEO techniques you have read from different blogs like Moz, Neil Patel, but still don’t even rank on the second page of Google.
Then you ask an SEO expert, which is more important between on-site SEO and off-site SEO, but you get no genuine answer.
Does any of these scenarios sound familiar? If yes, you’re in the right place.
What On-Site SEO?
You must have heard about on-site SEO, but don’t know what it means. Well, on-site SEO entails all the little stuff on your website that tells the search engines who you are. Below is a simplified list of what it’s all about:
- All your website content like pages, articles, and blogs
- Title tags, meta tags, and H1 tags
- Your user interface, layout, and the aspects of your design
- Alt text for your images
- The keywords you use, and the keyword density
- How fresh, unique, and current your content is
- Your website load time
- URL structure, and whether or not the URLs contain your keywords
- XML sitemap – it should be comprehensive and dynamic
- A full indexing of your site
- Internal linking and navigation
- txt file
- 301 redirects
But What is Off-Site SEO?
On the other hand, off-site SEO entails all the stuff you do outside your website like marketing and link building. Below is a simplified list to make you understand off-site SEO better:
- Link building; backlinks and inbound
- Press releases and other media articles directly referencing your website
- Any article directory submissions you have made
- Competitor analysis
- Your social media posts and related marketing
- Keyword analysis
- Leaving comments and links on other sites, blogs, forums, and videos
- Submissions to SEO-friendly directories
- Videos placed on sites like YouTube, properly optimized
- RSS feeds
- AdWords and other paid keyword campaigns
If at this point you still can’t do it on your own, try The Hoth YouTube. Meanwhile, let’s head over to which one between on-site SEO and off-site SEO is more important.
Which Is More Important Than the Other?
Many SEO experts will tell you that off-site SEO is the most important, the truth is that even if you implement all the off-site SEO techniques, still you won’t make a better website.
In a nutshell, you have to first deal with your on-site SEO before going further to start building links. This will save you a lot than just going straight to off-site SEO without perfecting your on-site SEO.
Unless you are crafting and publishing articles on your own blog, content marketing will still be categorized as off-site SEO technique.
The main point here isn’t to craft content and publish them. The main point here is to create valuable, informative and actionable content that your readers will love.
The next thing you should now focus on is to connect with popular website owners and start your link building plan. Also, ensure that you submit to directories, media sites, etcetera.
Public relations is very important, as well as online campaigns, submission of RSS feeds, and connecting with leading industry bloggers and publications. So, don’t ignore it because it will help you.