The Importance of Packaging Design
Looks are important – especially while marketing your products. Your product’s packaging is the first point of contact and if it is appealing enough, the customers might try it, even if they’ve never heard of your brand before. Product packaging design is a key element for the success of a new product or an existing product in case of a re-launch. The design should be attractive and functional to allow easy storage and distribution.
If you are a small business looking for packaging design in Sydney, then read on to understand its importance.
There are several reasons why packaging design is important – the right balance between offering information and drawing attention to itself amidst a group of competitors isn’t easy. Although it is often said one shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, first impressions are lasting impressions. So, if you don’t get it right the first time, you might lose the chance forever. Such is the importance of packaging because it helps you deliver the best and most favourable first impression. Irrespective of how good your product is, if you don’t back it up with great packaging design, your sales will suffer.
Functions of product packaging design
A good product packaging design should consider packaging functionality. Some important functions of product packaging are:
Protection – it is the main purpose of product packaging. If your product packaging is highly attractive but the product inside is damaged during transit, in storage rooms, or while on the display shelf, it defeats the whole purpose. So, a good product packaging design should be reliable and sturdy to prevent tampering and damage to the product.
Attraction – product packaging must be attractive enough to grab the attention of the customer, no matter where your product is placed. You can use attractive colour schemes, intricate designs, and customised boxes to ensure functionality and attraction.
Information – your product packaging should also aim to offer ample information about the product, including ways to use it, what are the ingredients, and expiration dates. It will help the customers decide whether they should buy your product or not, without having to speak to a store assistant.
Differentiation – another function of your packaging design is to ensure that your brand stands out among similar products. It should differentiate your products from similar ones. You can come up with innovative designs using logos, colour schemes, and shapes to make your product stand out and attract attention.
Why does packaging design matter?
Packaging design matters for several reasons, but the most important among them are:
- It offers a strong first (and lasting) impression
- It helps build and support your brand identity
- Packaging designs communicate with your customers by answering questions such as:
- Who is this product for?
- What is the use of this product?
- Where do I get more information about the manufacturer?
- When does it expire?
- How will it improve my life?
Why is packaging design key to your marketing success?
There are several reasons why product design matters. Consider the following:
- Approximately one-third of product decision-making is solely based on packaging.
- Over 70% of purchasing decisions are made in-store.
- If your customers don’t like what they see, they’ll tell others. Around 45% of consumers take to social media to share their negative views.
- Product packaging drives purchase more than other forms of marketing. It is more effective than your TV, Radio, and online reviews.
- Consumers tend to try a new product because of the packaging.
- Premium packaging is a definitive factor in shopping again for a majority of online shoppers
- Consumer interest piques when businesses give great attention to product packaging.
- Reusable product packaging helps to extend your brand reach far beyond the initial purchase
- Young shoppers love to share an image of product packaging through social media, thereby influencing peers and increasing brand exposure.
If you are looking for an effective packaging design in Sydney to boost your sales, contact our team today. We will help you achieve your potential with our unique product packaging ideas and designs.